Saturday, January 16, 2010

New life for too-short and holey girl pants!

Do you have a little girl who is outgrowing the length of her pants, but still fits in them in the waist and legs?? I certainly do! Plus, she's a little tomboy who has holey knees in more than one pair of pants.

Check out what I did...and I am not a very crafty person. Yes, I do have a sewing machine, but it was very very easy. I simply used some scrap material to make a cute ruffle edge on the bottom on the pants, thereby extending the length several inches.

For the knee patches, I purchased a sheet of 'iron-on adhesive' (about $2.50 for a yard at Jo-Ann's). It's very simple to use. Simply iron the adhesive onto your 'patching' material, cut it out to your desired shape, and voila...you've created your very own custom patch! Then, iron it onto the pants like any other iron-on patch (but way cuter)!

I think my 5-year will get at least another year or two from these pants now, which until last night were too short (like floodwaters short!) and had holes-in-the knees and ready for the donation box or compost cart! Now, they are her new favorites!

Unfortunately, I haven't thought of a good way to extend the length/life of boy pants yet. Ideas???


2 comments:

Rove Arounds said...

Love the pants, great work! For boys, do the same by creating a band in a tougher material like a canvas, just don't gather it. Make it look like a deliberate contrast! Want me to do it for you? Come see us, we just opened a shop in your neighborhood, Rove Arounds, next to Clancy's. We are master of re-purposing materials & love to share ideas!

Mindful Momma said...

How cute! Come on admit it - you ARE crafty Keiko!!